Wednesday 12 February 2020

Still breathing and still at home thankfully....





Last week was pretty nasty - if someone offers you a lumbar puncture, I'd highly recommend you run away.   Quickly.  However, the med staff, Matt and Stacey were professional and amazing (from an out patient perspective)

If you feel curious about the procedure (and yes, my eyes did weep and I had to bite the back of my hand in order to focus on not moving to prevent spine/nerve damage, you can watch a video of the procedure and what is entailed here ).

More tests at neurological unit due in March.  Hoping I will have hired a wheelchair from a local charity by then (I hate asking the porters to push me around from place to place in the hospital).  It's also weird when your partner has to help you get dressed but at least she does not have to help me walk to the toilet anymore.

A week on, my back and spine are still recovering.  A 30 minute MRI confirmed that I have three damaged discs in my lower spine from a historical injury (could have been from over 20 years ago, thank you #hmv).  It's doubtful that this is the causation of my current situation but it is worth taking into account.

My GP prescribed some wonderful pain killers but held off from taking them, fear of them not working was a hurdle.  As is not being able to walk unaided. 

Typing is a "chore" as I have limited use of hands/fingers.  LOL, I need a larger mobile phone than my Samsung S9+ (totally scared of dropping it so Lucy the cat has borrowed it - she likes its music library).  Had a visit from one of my closest friends last week which cheered me up no end. 

Good days and bad days, all in all.  Waiting for next head shave from Linda.  10 days and 1.5mm of hair growth already.  Growing (pardon the pun) used to having no hair on head.  Being totally bald is liberating.  But then again, so is waking up next to a loving partner and a profoundly deaf cat (River) who has developed the habit of rubbing her nose against my wrist in order to get my attention/wake me up from the pain killer induced coma.

It's weird, but, the cats kind of get that I am not well and in their own way, they communicate that concern.    Medical professionals/consultants could learn a lot from this.  #empathy




No comments: