Monday 7 January 2008

New Year's Resolutions

In amongst all the daily photo stuff I haven't really been posting my thoughts. Well, after the excesses of Xmas I am not functioning 100% and finding the actual process of engaging my brain and writing reports/recommendations to be quite taxing.

Anyway, in between trying to make my grey matter all functional I pottered around the subject of resolutions of the New Year variety and found that I have an inherent distaste for them so I thought of another way of making small changes without being all crabby and forced/coerced into them.

So, I present to you my bite size rules for the year:

A) Be nice. It costs nothing. Please and thank you go a long way, both with colleagues and people in shops.

B) Count to 5 before losing my temper with people - this includes the cats and Linda. Try and see the other side of the argument.

C) Speak my mind. If someone is messing me around or causing me unhappiness, tell them so (in a tactful way). (This may contradict the above but it's all about the balance).

D) Cut the dead wood out of my life, or at least limit my contact with it. I started this last year and cut negativity arriving from a certain part of my life. It caused some drama but it was worth it. It felt both liberating and meant I did not have to interact with toxic people for the sake of it.

E) Give compliments - boost the confidence and people around me by telling them if they have done something really wonderful or an action that has meant something to me. People cannot read your mind so tell them! I've started doing this and the feeling is so positive. I think positivity breeds positivity.

F) (Cribbed from Lynch and Frost). Give myself a gift everyday. Doesn't matter if it's a 5 minute break to stare out of the window, a cup of lemon tea or a DVD. It's still giving something back to myself to prove I'm worth it.

Now, these are pretty easy things to stick to and they work for me. I hope 2008 is a positive and inspiring one!

No comments: