Sunday 23 December 2007

Birmingham Flea Market

The Birmingham Flea at the Custard Factory is a must see if you're a native Brummie or a visitor. Unfortunately, this was the last one for a while but it motivated me to go say hello to Bunny (who's Blog inspired me to let loose from Livejournal and post in other places, those places being here). I am profoundly shy and find it a little hard to talk but after two minutes or so of hearing about her adventures with John Waters and her passion for Pee Wee Herman I felt any fears rush away cos this lady knows her cult media and that makes her fab in my books, being somewhat of a fan of all things off-beat myself.

We managed to swap a few stories (I hope I didn't monopolise too much of your time, B!) and some advice about running a stall at the B'ham Flea (something I am seriously contemplating as I need to thin out some of my collection, books, comics etc). Her cakes and merchandise look fab as usual and I certainly need to pick up a few items from her asap! Anyway, she took a moment to pose for the lens and an example of the result is below:

IMG_5888

Looking very festive, if you're at the flea go say hello as she's a fab lady!

Also had some good conversations with some other stall holders about photography (I heard someone say "it's 'im with 'is camera again" but it wasn't meant in a sarcastic way). The Flea just has this intense mixture of artists and people selling their wares and it's unique, something that Birmingham so desperately needs right now. It's a place where people can sell, buy, converse and just be who they are instead of the mass production ephemera of the high street, we can see merchandise stretching back for decades here. It's like stepping into your own little Timewarp and to be part of that just for a short time is fantastic and liberating. I cannot wait to go back when the market kicks off again and just walk around and be myself for a bit.

1 comment:

Bunny said...

Thank you so much for all these kind words! and generous links and promotion! It was great talking to you today and a pleasure to meet you and Linda properly. The pictures are great, although I look so tired! I think I need to rest up over christmas, my outfit still looks great though. Sorry I was a bit busy and distracted today, I hope you had a good day and thanks again for writing about me!
HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
Bunny