Tuesday 25 December 2007

Daily Photo #17

It's Xmas day at last and the journey over the last few weeks has arrived at its logical destination. I don't believe in god but I do believe in something more, the will and power of the individual. As John Lennon once said, "I don't believe in 'isms". I took this on board during my late teenage years and always held it true. Man is a being of self determination. When I look at people, I don't see faith. I don't see belief. I see the person.

IMG_2683

Now, this might be a strange photo to post on Xmas day but I will give you some background. I shot this image at the site of the WTC. I didn't ask permission of those people in the shot. I took the picture and walked away. They could be anyone, people there to grieve over the loss of a loved one. A tourist. A passerby. To me, it doesn't matter who they are. They took the time out to pay their respects. To remember. A person is the sum of their memory. If we do not remember who we were, we cannot remember who we are or who we will be. We are walking memories, a map of decisions. Of the path we have taken. Over six years ago, a tragedy befell New York. To this day, I can remember seeing the Twin Towers where they stood. Proud. Two beacons, two sentinels who looked over the city. Now, I don't know where I am going with this but I know one thing. We're all on a path and it's the choices that make us who we are. I am not my job. I am not what people label me to be. I am a person and I determine who I am by the choices, actions and the path I make.

It's on days like this that we reflect and look back. We collect our thoughts and sum up what we've done over the year. I like to think that I will sleep soundly tonight. I've faced my demons and moved on.

I promise I'll be more cheerful tomorrow ;)

No comments: